Welcome to the College of Computing & Information Sciences (CoCIS) Library. The library serves the schools of Computing and Informatics Technology and the East African School of Library and Information Science (EASLIS). The Collection was merged in August 2012 to form a fully-fledged College Library, under one roof in a designated place at the School of Computing & Informatics Technology, Block B, Ground floor. Initially CoCIS had 2 Bookbank Libraries in 2 different premises (i.e. School of Computing & Informatics Technology, Block B 2nd floor and School of Library and Information Science at EASLIS premises). However, for students’ day to day practical exercises, EASLIS still maintains a small collection of its frequently used teaching tools in the Teaching laboratory at their premises.
The CoCIS Library Collection consists of the following:
- Text books for various teaching programs of the College
- Dissertations (Undergraduate and Postgraduat)
- Journals (in print and subscribed e-journals)
LIBRARY SERVICES AT CoCIS LIBRARY
CoCIS LIBRARY serves specifically students and staff of the College and even other students and staff from other colleges of Makerere University. External users have to register with the Main Library at a fee in order to be served at the College Library. The following are the user services rendered at CoCIS Library:
Service to Users:
- Issuing of books to users
- Receiving borrowed books from students and lecturers
- Issuing Clearance forms to final year students
- Sensitizing Teaching Staff in book selection
- Training students in the use of Online Catalogue and subscribed databases for e-resources.
Staff routines/Core Tasks:
- Receiving & registering of new reading materials
- Cataloguing and classification of reading materials
- Spine labeling the materials for quick retrieval
- Record keeping of borrowed reading materials.
- Annual report writing
Textbooks with multiple copies can be borrowed out for some days and books with few copies can be read within the library.
Dissertations are strictly not borrowed out.
Monday to Friday: 8.00 a.m. – 8.00 p.m. (during Semester time)
Saturdays: 8.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. (during Semester time)
Recess term 8.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. (Monday-Friday)
Edith Lutwama (Ms)
TEAM LEADER/CoCIS LIBRARY